This is one of a kind model built by the late Sam Powell as a “stand in” PRR A5. It is a cobble together of Rex parts. Rex is the S Scale equivalent to the old school Mantua or Roundhouse white metal kits. There are some things wrong with the kit I want to correct and give it a new paint job. There are hopefully some new drivers that don’t wobble in my long range plans for it.
But it can PULL!
PRR E6s 460
This is a long term project I hope to have running by fall 2017. MUCH work needs to be done.
PRR J1 6156
This was imported by River Raisin in October 2002. It was made by Boo Rim. I did not do much to it except add a working coupler to the pilot. I had it painted with DCC and sound added. It runs amazingly well. In February 2017 I installed a WOW4 decoder and LED headlight.
PRR K4 5387
The K4 was imported by Omnicon in 1987. It was made by Samhongsa. I was extremely lucky enough to have bought this K4 as shown here. All of the Omnicon K4 were produced as built. This model has had a lot of Modernization work done to it. I have had K4 5387 for over 20 years. It was owned and modernized by the late Jack Bounds. It has remained very unchanged in that time until 2-12-17. I put in a new gearbox to replace the Samhongsa CRAP free rolling gearbox, a larger boiler weight, WOW4 decoder (it never had sound before) and a LED headlight. 5387 had a very nice drop coupler in the modern pilot. Jack made the linkage fold like the real thing. But that had to go in favor of a working coupler. In double heading 5387 will never lead over 5495!
As nice as the modernization is, I have long range plans to upgrade 5387 even more with my handrail stanchions etc. It will also get a number change – not sure what it will be yet. It will really complement 5495 when it is done.
PRR K4 5495
K4 5495 is by far my most involved most time consuming locomotive ever, and probably will be for my entire life. The total time spent making it is not known but I estimate it at well over 1000 hours. Click the photo for a page on its history.
The PRR L1 is the first S Scale Brass engine I bought in about 1988. A long involved project started in 2009 reworked them to the detail level of 5495. They were finally completed in 2017.
I traded away my painted M1 for an unpainted model in about 1995 in the name of redoing it. I did not modernize that locomotive. In January 2017 I took this locomotive out of the box and tried to run it for the first time ever. It still had all flanged drivers as originally made by Omnicon. I wanted to test it, but the flanges were touching so I installed the code 148 blind center drivers. It ran for the first time on 1-22-17. My M1 will be modernized likely at the same time as a makeover of 6702 below.
Photographing bare brass is difficult.
PRR M1a 6702
This is one of the first PRR engines that I modernized. The original boiler weight was pitiful. When I painted it in the early 90s I made the awful mistake of adding more weight with 5 minute epoxy. That made adding a speaker in the boiler impossible. In June 2016 I spent most of a Saturday grinding out the boiler weight and epoxy. It now has a Tsunami2 and an amazing small RailMaster DS1240-Box speaker, right under the stack. Much of the motivation though, was converting the headlight to a LED. It is up for a likely modernization detailing update at some point.
Shot on 2-13-08
There was not a sound unit in this engine at that time.
In January 2017 I took out the Tsunami2 and installed a sound cam, WOW4 decoder and a new bright white LED. The Tsumani2 eliminated the sound cam wire – NOT good. WOW4 decoders are my current standard for steam locomotives.
I am making a M1b from a M1a by, among other things, adding the cleanouts plugs. This work was all done in about 2005, and well before I learned Solidworks and started making my own parts. It is not quite ready for paint as shown below. There is some detailing left to be done. Note the lubricator linkage I made. I ran it for the first time ever with the above M1 on 1-22-17. You can see the modernization work done when compared to the stock M1 above. I hope to have it done by spring 2017.
B&O C16 “Docksider” 96
Here is my S Helper Service B&O Consolidation putting on a show on my roller
track without moving an inch! The Tsunami sound unit brings it all to life!
Click on the above photo to see the live video on YouTube!
Modeling the Reading
In 2015 I went on a significant Reading modeling binge mostly because of getting and completing my G-1sb Pacific and getting my P-7sb Atlantic.
This puts more “R” in my PRSL.
Reading G-1sb 204
Reading I-8 Camelback
This Reading I-8 Camelback was made by Overland in the late 1980s. It is a very “schweeet” piece as you can see. I bought it as shown from the same person that I bought the K4 shown above. I added a larger boiler weight because it was pitiful, and DCC.
I bought this Reading I10sa as shown on eBay December 2009. The cab, firebox and tender shell are true American Flyer. The rest pretty much is brass. It was a rather rare kit offered back in the day and I imagine even rarer when assembled especially to this level. It had a massive Pittman open frame motor in it that has been changed to a can motor.
Reading I10sa 2005
Reading Rods Down
Posed on the layout on 7-17-14 just for fun.
Reading P-7sb 353
West Side Lumber Company Shay #12
All photos and content © Lanes Trains 2005-2017